National Cancer Registry Ireland
The National Cancer Registry Ireland (NCRI) is a publicly appointed body, established in 1991, to collect and classify information on all cancer cases which occur in Ireland.
NCRI’s functions are as follows:
- To identify, collect, classify, record, store and analyse information relating to the incidence and prevalence of cancer and related tumours in Ireland;
- To collect, classify, record and store information in relation to each newly diagnosed individual cancer patient and in relation to each tumour which occurs;
- To promote and facilitate the use of the data thus collected in approved research and in the planning and management of services;
- To publish an annual report based on the activities of the Registry;
- To furnish advice, information and assistance in relation to any aspect of such service to the Minister.
Cancer registration in the Republic of Ireland by NCRI is population-based, covering a population of 5.01 million in 2021. NCRI is funded by the Government’s Department of Health, and legislation entitles NCRI to request cancer-related information from any organization, although direct reporting to NCRI is not compulsory. All relevant sources are used for case creation, especially hospital databases, including pathology laboratories, and efforts are ongoing to further increase the use of electronic sources.
Cross border cooperation is a feature of the NCRI’s work and we are a member of the Ireland-Northern Ireland-National Cancer Institute Cancer Consortium. This consortium was established in 1999 with the purpose of producing All-Ireland Cancer Statistics reports.
The NCRI regularly publishes reports on cancer incidence and survival and, more periodically, on prevalence and projections. All reports, and detailed incidence and survival data, are available to download from the Registry website. A core aim of NCRI is to promote and facilitate the use of our data in research and in the planning and management of cancer services in Ireland and we have developed a diverse portfolio of research projects, many of which involve collaboration both within and outside the National Cancer Registry.
- 1 of 5
- next ›
|Dr Deirdre Murrayfirstname.lastname@example.org||Director||+353 (21) 454 8801|
|Mr Mark O'Callaghanemail@example.com||Data manager||+353 (21) 454 8826|